Saturday 6 January 2007

No sleep 'till, er, Southampton

I've changed a lot of stuff in my life lately from a social point of view. I'm going out a lot more with a whole new group of people, and in response I am having a lot more fun, somehow without really spending much more than I did before. OK, so what I have actually done is kind of made a whole new social life that is fast squeezing out the old one, but generally it's all good.

One consequence of this new way of doing things is that I am getting considerably less sleep than I used to, and I just can't figure out why that isn't bothering me.
I've always been a 'the more sleep the better' kind of person, for most of my life I didn't even realise weekends had an A.M, and all of a sudden I'm going out, having a few drinks, staying out till the early hours or going back to Rachel's (which tends to involve lots of fun stuff but sleeping certainly isn't on the cards), getting 3 hours sleep and then strolling off to work the next day without any bother. And the scary thing? I've done it several nights in a row for several weeks now and still it doesn't bother me.
I would have expected to find myself hibernating every weekend to catch up the lost hours, or contracting a kind of induced narcolepsy and falling alseep at work, to be found slumped over the bench, dribbling slightly on some half-made signs.

Admittedly I have taken to having the odd 'nap' here and there, where before maybe I wouldn't have done, and due to it being such crappy weather outside I may have cancelled climbing a few times in preference of a more relaxed activity (involving as much laying horizontal as possible instead of dragging myself up vertical walls by my fingers). Also I do feel a bit tired at work sometimes, but that's all to be expected, and the fact is I genuinely didn't think I could even survive living with this little amount of sleep for any long period of time. I thought it would drive me a bit nuts. Maggie Thatcher got by on 4 hours a night, and I thought maybe that was why she is so mental, but it seems it's not. Turns out she'd be mental even with 8 hours under her belt every night.

Plus side is that I am spending more time having fun than I am just snoring and dreaming about flying monkeys and being a vampire and stuff. Which is kind of fun in itself I suppose, but doesn't beat real life, well, most of the time anyway, i'd love to be a vampire.

We shall see how long it lasts I suppose, maybe I am unknowingly pushing myself towards some disastrous mental breakdown caused by spending too much time being conscious and having to put up with myself. Perhaps my brain needs more of a break from being me?
Pah, I doubt it, and besides, you never know till you try, in the meantime I'm having a great time squeezing in that little bit more fun every day and i'm not stopping that until I have to.

Plenty of time to sleep when you are dead, right? Thats a little extreme, but i'll try it Maggie's way for a while.

No comments: