Tuesday 30 January 2007

I love my Hat

I have a hat.

It's a very nice hat, well, a beanie technically. It's black and made of something that for the sake of argument I will say is wool, and it has a little label thingy that sits over my right eye.
That's it, nothing showy, nothing expensive or special, but it does do a very good job of covering the top of my head and if I'm honest, that's all I can ask of a good hat.

I have had it for so long that I can't even remember where I bought it, but in my own time honoured tradition, I bought it because I lost the hat I had before. I never go out shopping and see, say, a pair of sunglasses, and think "hey, you know what? I already have a pair, but these would look much better at the beach, ooh, and those would be good for when I'm rock climbing, I'll get them all." If it does it's job, and doesn't need washing too often, I'll just have one at a time thanks. In fact I'd probably only have one pair of pants if they didn't need washing so damn regularly. (not due to me making them unwearably dirty due to some deviant fetish, I just like clean pants)

My hat has been all over Europe with me (it can't go on it's own, obviously. It doesn't have it's own passport), it has ridden proudly atop my bonce as I skied down various mountains in Soll in Austria, and hob-nobbed with the hats of celebrity skiers in Val D'Isere in France.
It has sat in my bag while I drove the 1800-ish miles from Calais to Alicante in Southern Spain, taking a beanie to Spain in August may have been a slightly ridiculous idea, but you never know...
Closer to home, it has watched from the beach as I learned to Kite-surf on the Isle of Wight (with considerable success I might add), and it has stubbornly refused to leave my head when I rather embarrassingly found myself the owner of an MGF convertible and decided to go down the motorway with the roof down. In March. At night.

My hat has climbed nearly as many walls as I have, I may take my jumper off, and maybe my t-shirt too, but most of the time the hat stays on. (it doesn't go as far as that Tom Jones song though, you filthy minded people)
It keeps me warm in my car while the heaters stubbornly refuse to live up to their name, it deflects all the great British weather if I ever make the mistake of walking anywhere.

My hat has been soaked in snow, rain and sleet, it's been wet and dried so many times it has lost all elastic properties, it has been covered in oil, grease and anything else that drips off the underside of a car, and it lived with my unwashed hair for over 4 weeks when I tried to see if my hair would clean itself. (it didn't)

But it is still looking good (for a given range of 'good') and it still does what it is supposed to do, plus it's really comfy too.

So I love my hat, and I wanted to let you know.

That is all. Ta.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yea a new post, i have been waiting oh so un-patiently...!

i hope it's been washed since the hair cleaning itself experiment...

dandan said...

erm, it might have been...

I wonder if i can disable the 'anonymous' option, i hate mysteries.

Reveal yourself mysterious person!

Anonymous said...

a friend...

lifts collar, pulls brim of hat down over eyes and walks off into the midnight fog.