Wednesday 3 January 2007

Big Managerial Decisions

Should usually involve me along the way somewhere, i'm sure. What with me being a director, i'm pretty sure there is something somewhere that says I should probably know about things going on in our small company, like buying new stationery, or maybe changing the colour of the invoices, stuff like that.
So turning up for work yesterday to find a new staff member floating about the place looking faintly nervous came as something of a suprise.

Hmm, more history required here I think, this might happen a lot until I have posted here a few more times, so bear with.
I started a Signmaking Franchise with my dad about 3 years ago, we are kind of partners, although he put almost all the money in, and he does the managerial bit whilst I let my creative genius (ahem) run amok amongst the signs. Unfortunately, even though I can sign the cheques just like my dad can, his alpha male style persona has put him well and truly in charge, and my general lack of respect for a man who I have seen cleaning up my sick (I was very young I promise) and watched while he managed to hammer a nail into his own foot, means I have been getting a little tired of it lately.

I'm planning on buggering off to new and better things (not to mention higher paid things, don't start me on the money situation, you try living for 2 years on £400 a month, I have t-shirts I still wear that are so worn you can see through them and the last time I bought myself a techy boys-toy gadget it had the words '16-bit' proudly displayed across the front) and this new guy is the first step towards that, someone to replace me so that I can leave.

It would have been nice to be told though, it's one step away from turning up for work and finding the locks changed and all the staff laughing at me through the window, and I swore to myself i'd never let that happen. Again.

But anyway, turns out he's a nice guy, his name is James and he's only 17, fresh out of college, and he seems pretty bright. I'm waiting for our salesman Mike to come back from his holiday on Thursday, start hilariously referring to him as 'Jim-bob' within five minutes of meeting him, and hoping this will irritate James enough for me to convince him to crack Mike's head open with a large aluminium sign tray. Believe me I have wanted to do it for years but i'm too pretty for prison.

So if I can train the guy to do what I do and he is good enough at it, then pretty soon I can go get another job, work for someone who I haven't seen wandering around the house in his pants, and start seriously getting on with my life.
Let's just hope James is as good at drinking tea, producing enough work to keep the boss happy but allowing him to secretly surf the net all day, and generally staring into space instead of doing anything productive as I am. Good luck my friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heheh This isn't a very productive message unfortunatly but your post made me laugh. YOu have a great way with words young man x
Good luck with it all :)

Tracy