Monday 26 November 2007

Don't let the door hit you on the way out...

I read an article in a newspaper this weekend (the newspaper shall remain nameless 'cos otherwise you'll all assume I read it regularly and will form some weird judgements about me based on my preferred daily reading material, which isn't true, it was on Rachel's mum's coffee table, but you'd never believe that) that was about a failed asylum seeker who wanted to go home because he said the British 'Weren't very nice to him'.

The council gave him a free flat, but it wasn't nice enough so he refused it and then moaned when he was put in hostel accommodation.
The council gave him food vouchers but he moaned about those because he wanted real money instead. (As obviously you can buy more food with real money than with denominated vouchers, everyone knows that)
He is getting free NHS treatment for his shopping list of ailments and he says he deserves it because he can't afford it back in his home country. Nothing to do with the fact that he was unemployed in his home country, oh no, definitely not.

Oh and he gets free public transport, but that's probably not good enough for him either 'cos he doesn't get his own Bentley and chauffeur or something equally ludicrous.

Now, this guy wants to go home to his (possibly) war torn and (almost certainly) third world country because we are so mean and nasty and the only question I want to ask is this:

Why haven't we sent him back yet?!?!

This is as political as I am ever likely to get, inane ramblings will resume soon, promise.

6 comments:

DarkWing said...

I'll fill his place :D

dandan said...

You'd be more than welcome, I urge you to examine the 'Grass is Greener' theorem very closely before making any rash decisions though...

Stuart said...

Newspapers can talk such absolute bollocks. I presume this was some right-wing chip-wrap with 'Mail' in the title, or perhaps 'of The World'.

They know their readership love being outraged by such shit, so the write it.

Maybe there are some people that are so desperately home-sick that they want to go back to the 'devil they know', and that's kind've understandable (another country with a another language, different culture, missing one's family, and loads of hostility because of newspaper articles like that one) but then dick-head journalists fill in the rest with whatever they think will sell a paper.

I never trust articles like that. Do you think it's actually true?

This is not all journalists, of course, some of my best friends are journalists. But some, definitely.

dandan said...

Well, they had a comment in the article form some local councillor who said, and i sort of quote "this guy has lost touch with reality", and I thought that was possibly the most sensible thing I had ever heard come out of a politicians mouth, ever. It was kind of like you couldn't even make it up, so I reckon it was true.
The paper actually had the word "express" and the word "daily in the title if it makes a difference.

Anonymous said...

It's been my experience that new-comers to Ireland (which are a relatively new phenomenon, to be fair) are much more likely to be hardworking and diligent than the spoiled brats of the current Irish generation. My nan lived in Hounslow and I can still recall her and her friends tutting over "these people, coming over here and taking our jobs." She failed to point out that many of our jobs weren't being taken by our people because they were quite content to claim the dole and sit on their arses for years at a time - "England is mine and it owes me a living" and all that. Most immigrants I've ever known have been utterly ashamed if they couldn't get a job in the first few weeks doing something so I fear it may be as Clive suggests. :)

dandan said...

I definately agree LQS, a huge majority of immigrants, whether legal or not, are generally interested in earning themselves some legitimate money, but I really do think this article just managed to find a complete nobhead, who happens to be an asylum seeker which happens to sell papers right now. I'm not trying to say they are all like him, but I think he almost certainly is a certifiable nutbag.