Monday 17 September 2007

Up the literary ladder?

I'm trying to write a book!

I don't know if I mentioned this before but (like almost everyone else in the known world) I have always wanted to write a book, and the difference between me and possibly 90% of the people who share this aim, I actually have half a chapter all done and everything.

The possible difference between me and the other 10% is that they actually finished the book.

The aforementioned half-chapter, or chapette, did take aproximately 3 years to write, but hey, who's counting right? At this rate I could still publish a short story in time to supplement my state pension.

I am definately picking up pace, I reckon with some good sessions at the keyboard I could get to a whole chapter by christmas, new year at the very latest. I'm sure as I generate more of the book, the enthusiasm to finish it will grow, right?

Anyway, that's all good, I may put it up on here, or link it or something for you to peruse when I have grown my chapette into a fully housetrained, pedigree chapter.

Tim news: After a week of startling neglect, one of his leaves turned brown and fell off. No more chillies have appeared, but his dirt never seems to go dry, even if I don't water him for, oh, say, about a week.
I realised that the window he is next to gets approximately 0 hours of direct sunlight a day, due to the house next door and the big tree in their garden, this may well have been putting a bit of a stopper on any plans Tim had for photosynthesis and the growth of any more chillies for me to eat.

I have moved him to a sunnier shelf.

6 comments:

Stuart said...

Look, I'm commenting.

I keep hearing of (and meeting) bloggers that have book deals. Mostly, they just blog about their sex lives, and that seems to sell.

Actually, that sounds really easy. And I bet they make half of it up. Do that. Start another blog where you pretend you're a call girl; Bob's your uncle.

I'd have to make it up. My sex life currently wouldn't actually make a chapette. (And I'm not really a call girl.) But I'd have a perverse pleasure if Billy Piper played me in the movie.

Anonymous said...

Heh. I know of at least three in my link list who are currently writing their masterpiece and one who has published one book with another on the way. Although, come to think of it, I may have deleted her. Was v. pleased for her, obviously, but it all got a bit smug.

I am always doubtful about this "everyone's got a novel in them" malarky. For one thing, it doesn't mean that the novel in question, if it ever escaped, would be any good. And secondly, what makes for a well written blog does not necessaily translate into a well writen book. Mercifully, publishers don't seem to care so as long as you can generate enough publicity on the net, you can get away with just about anything.

But then I'm one of the few who definitely doesn't have a novel in me. Which is just as well because I can't write for shit. It requires too much discipline! So I should probably just keep my mouth shut! But, fwiw, I'd like to read what you've written if you post it. And don't worry about the pace you've adopted with it. From what I can tell, most wannabe writers take ages to get going. It seems to be par for the course.

dandan said...

Oi, no comments longer than my blogs, i'll get overshadowed!

Thanks for dropping by Clive, so what's my call girl name going to be? I quite fancy Spangles McGonagle personally. As for the subsequent movie deal, I reckon I could be played by Billie Piper too, she's so versatile.

L-Q, I can totally see how a lot of blogs would not make the leap to a full blown novel, it's like why (most) people would drink whiskey by the shot, it's nice a little at a time, but you wouldn't want to drink it by the pint. Plus you might be sick on your shoes.
From the whiskey, not from a bad blog-based book, obviously. Unless it really was an awful book, or possibly it was medical-based and very graphic...
I'm quite squeamish.

Anyway, my book is not going to be related to my blog or even my blog writing style in any way, I mostly read a lot of heroic fantasy of adventure, thriller type books, so I thought I would stick to what I know.
My life isn't interesting enough and I don't know enough about a single subject to even think about writing a non-fiction book.

Fingers crossed.

Stuart said...

Long comments? Ooh, that l-q-s is notorious.

Anonymous said...

*bows* Pointless rambling, and often incoherent, comments are my forte. But, never mind. They make the place look busy! :)

Clive, on the other hand, will normally only comment on entries related to vasectomies or pooing. Consider yourself honoured that he graces your blog with comments unrelated to these topics. :)

Anonymous said...

what's the book about then? a day in the life, or perhaps death, of tim?