Thursday 4 October 2007

Obstinate Abstinence

I didn't eat any chocolate today.

This, in itself is no great achievement for me, I probably quite often go without eating chocolate for a whole day without even noticing.
The difference today is that I was offered some chocolate, and possibly for the first time in recorded history, I said 'no'. (I didn't literally just say 'no', that would be rude, I probably said something like 'no thanks, I'm off the chocolate, cheers anyway'. I'm quite polite in real life you know)

I'm training you see.

As you may or may not know (or care), I am a bit of a rock climber, and there is a competition on at my local wall at the end of the month. I decided I would enter it, and thought I could do a bit of training for the month leading up to it, just to give myself a little extra edge.

The problem with this is that I already climb regularly and pretty intensively, so the best aid I can give to myself is to alter my diet.
So I am cutting out the crap, albeit only for this month, and trying to balance my diet out to the best of my ability. This involves mostly guesswork if I'm honest.

Anyway, back to the point, I had to say 'no' to some chocolate today, because that is one thing that is most definitely not on my 'balanced diet' list, and I couldn't believe how difficult it was!
I'm lucky when it comes to digestion, I can eat a pound of butter fried in lard with a pint of grease to wash it down, and I never put on any weight, but consequently, I have never had to say 'no' to anything before.

I spent the afternoon fantasising about the chocolate bars sitting seductively in my desk drawer, I mean, look, I just used the would 'seductively' in relation to a cocoa based foodstuff!

I don't envy those people who do this all the time, and I certainly don't want to be strong enough to be like them and be able to say 'no' to stuff I want more often, saying 'no' is rubbish and denial is just not good for you.

I'm hoping I break my self imposed diet and pig out on the brown stuff soon, saying 'yes' is the way I like to do things, and I don't want to change just yet.

Fingers crossed for the competition anyway though.

6 comments:

Stuart said...

But for a month?!

I hate to do this to you (I don't really) but, purely by coincidence, I'm eating some as we speak.

Actually, it's not as bad when there's a goal is it.

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Well done you! It's quite easy not to eat chocolate, actually. I'm not sure quite why but it makes my teeth ache so I find it almost a pleasure to not it. If only the same could be same for biscuits, I'd be laughing.

Anonymous said...

So beer, chinese take away and Chocolate cheesecake is ok? Wow, i wanna go on your diet. : )

dandan said...

Oh, was that chocolate cheesecake? I thought that didn't count. damn you woman. Let's not even start on the beer and the chinese.

Anonymous said...

no chocolate? that's just wrong

Anonymous said...

welcome to my life.... sarah